Rabobank Sustainability Vision:
- Strengthening vital communities.
- Accelerating the sustainable agriculture and food supply.
- Promoting and supporting business customers to achieve sustainability step-by-step.
- Providing financial advice to retail customers that contribute to sustainable development.
- Making Rabobank’s own operations sustainable.
Vision and Policy: Sustainability Successful together
People and business achieve the greatest impact in sustainable development when they join forces and invest in each other. Rabobank is committed to helping clients and their communities in achieving sustainability by providing tailored financial services and access to knowledge and networks. Caring for people, the climate and the environment often goes hand in hand with the creation of new income opportunities and economic development.
Achieving sustainability in practice entails a process that helps people and businesses to further improve the relationship between prosperity and wellbeing. It all comes down to caring for people, the climate, wildlife, the environment and the economy – today and tomorrow. People are responsible for taking the initiative to achieve this because they make up society and the economy. They often have ideas for improving the balance between prosperity and wellbeing and between prosperity and the climate. And they have a vested interest in attaining this equilibrium
Rabobank and many of its clients know from experience that sustainable development and economic development are closely interconnected. A concrete example: People who invest in energy conservation both save costs and help protect the climate. Sustainable energy production is another excellent illustration. It demands investment, but also generates financial returns in the longer term and helps conserve natural resources. And businesses in food and agri and other sectors that look at raw materials, production methods and recycling from a fresh angle can both achieve new earning models and help conserve raw materials and natural resources.
Strengthening clients and their environment
What is Rabobank’s role? To support its clients to achieve sustainable development by providing financial solutions, insights, knowledge and access to networks. And the bank has been doing just that since the end of the nineteenth century. Sustainability is good for people, businesses and communities. So it’s also good for Rabobank.
Sustainability spearheads to 2020
Rabobank is a broad financial services provider for retail and business clients in the Netherlands and is the leading food and agri bank worldwide. Rabobank’s spearheads for sustainable development to 2020 ensue from this position.
- Supporting retail and business clients to achieve greater sustainability. We give our retail clients clarity as to the sustainability impact of savings and investments. They also have the opportunity to save or invest for a specific sustainable and socially responsible purpose.
- Accelerating the sustainable development of agriculture and the food supply. Rabobank acts on its commitment to help make food and agri chains more sustainable worldwide by, for example, actively taking part in seven sustainability roundtables regarding food and agri chains. Our clients are encouraged to integrate the results of these roundtables into their business operations. We participate with innovative clients and social partners in ambitious sustainability projects that serve as an inspiration for others.
- Strengthening local communities. We play an active role in the communities of which we are a part by connecting people and sharing knowledge. The emphasis in the Netherlands is on sustainability, economic vitality and ensuring quality in healthcare and housing. The focus in developing countries is on establishing and professionalising farming organisations and access to local financial infrastructures for everyone.
Rabobank is working with customers and other stakeholders to realize the 'Sustainably Successful Together' strategy based on 14 concrete sustainability goals. The results at year-end 2015 show Rabobank is on track to achieving its sustainability goals for 2020.
Rabobank measures progress in five sustainability categories for which it has formulated a vision and ambitions that it is translating into products, services and other initiatives:
- Strengthening the vitality of communities.
- Accelerating the sustainability of agriculture and the food supply.
- Promoting and supporting business customers to achieve sustainability step by step.
- Providing financial advice to retail customers that contributes to sustainable development.
- Making Rabobank’s own operations sustainable.
Sustainable business operations
Less and greener. Whether you’re talking about energy consumption, car kilometers or paper – Rabobank has a longstanding commitment to operating as sustainably as possible. And it’s producing effects.
Rabobank has been operating 100% climate neutral since 2007. CO2 emissions per full-time employee were also 35% lower in 2015 than in 2008. This is partly because buildings and equipment, such as lighting, now require less energy. The bank is committed to reducing greenhouse gas emissions per employee by another 10% compared to 2013 levels by 2020. Rabobank calculates CO2 emissions per employee according to the internationally recognized Greenhouse Gas Protocol. It compensates its CO2 emissions by purchasing so-called emission rights (Voluntary Emission Reductions).
Sustainability Warrior Internal Campaign
To align our strategy with Rabobank International’s commitment to sustainability, Rabobank Indonesia launched our first internal sustainability campaign called “Sustainability Warrior” on September 27 2017. The internal campaign comprises of 3 stages, the first stage:
- Ignite Awareness - to start the conversation on sustainability, participate in waste recycling program and the launch of an E-Learning module.
- Adopt Behavior - The second stage is where we want to see awareness translate into actions, at this stage there will be fun activities to get the sustainability muscle working and more knowledge sharing about what sustainability is all about.
- Reward - The third stage is The Sustainability Warrior Award, when we recognize and reward sustainability role models and their efforts on integrating sustainability into their day-to-day life both in and out of the office.